We have discussed The California Extreme arcade event previously (August 11th-13th) and it continues to shape up to be one unforgettable event with the announcement of the films that are going to be shown. Among the films there are two full-length documentaries, The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters and Chasing Ghosts, both of which we have discussed previously. They also will be showing a third documentary that I had not heard of before called ‘High Score’ that documents one man’s attempt to shatter the world high score on Missile Command. Beyond that several shorts films will be featured, including a few that exclusively cover pinball. Hit the post break for the full listing and details of films you can expect to see in the event that you can make it to California Extreme.
In addition, we will also be showing the South By Southwest Film Festival Audience Award winning film, “High Score” which is another highly praised documentary about a single man’s (Bill Carlton) quest for a high score on Missile Command. “High Score” follows Bill as he attempts to take down the Atari classic Missile Command and its twenty year-old record. To get the 80 million points he’ll have to play the game on one quarter for over two days straight. There is no pause button. There will be no sleep. There can be only one victor in this classic story of Man versus Missile Command.
As an added bonus, Bill will be on hand to answer audience questions after the film. Who knows? Maybe Bill will make another Missile Command high score attempt at the show, too!
In addition to the aforementioned films, we are also proud to show several short film subject pieces and trailers including:
– “Ball Saved”, a pinball documentary by Ben Olson. “Ball Saved” features a rare glimpse behind the scenes at Stern Pinball, an interview with Roger Sharpe, world-class player, historian and pinball transcendentalist and brings you into the world of competitive pinball at the Pinbrawl. See www.loveslashhate.com/ballsaved.htm for more information.
– “Pinball 101”, an extended trailer by Keith and Randy Elwin. This video shows techniques for better play and how to make the ball do what you want. Learn how to “be the ball” – or just OWN it! See www.pinballvideo.com for a short trailer and more information.
– “Best of Pinpin”, a compilation by Minimum Wage Entertainment. The Pinpin crew have made six snowboarding/pinball DVDs and are bringing the best of their pinball work to California Extreme. See www.pinpin7.com for more information.
– “Press Start”, an extended trailer for a comedy by Dark Maze Studios. “Press Start” tells the story of a suburban youth in a videogame world who discovers his adventurous, if berserk, destiny when he’s recruited by an ill-tempered ninja and a tough-as-nails space soldier to save the world from a tyrannical, but comically insecure, sorcerer. For more information, see www.pressstartmovie.com.
– “TILT: The Battle to Save Pinball”, highlights and discussion by director Greg Maletic. This film tells the story of the extraordinary Pinball 2000(tm) machines built by Williams in an effort to save not just the company, but the product that had defined coin-operated entertainment for eighty years. For more, see www.tilt-movie.com.
… and more, including promotional videos for pinball and video games. [All additional films subject to change or cancellation due to last-minute timing or availability issues.]
These films will definitely take you down memory lane as they are chock full of some amazing archival footage of just how it was during the heydays of the video arcade craze. And the stories of the people featured are nothing short of fascinating to behold.
All film viewings will be included with the price of admission. The schedule of viewings will be posted as it becomes available.
We hope you will join us to view these amazing films. And our biggest thanks go out to the film makers themselves for allowing us the distinguished honor to show all of their films at California Extreme 2007.