Stern Pinball has announced their newest game to hit the market, so let’s jump in and check it out:
Guardians Of The Galaxy Pinball Gameplay
Added 10/31/2017 – As I originally heard, the game would be entirely unveiled on Halloween and here we go:
As you can see, there are magnets underneath the playfield that aren’t even seen, to create special effects that line-up with the art. I like how the Groot multiball works (which reminds me of Indiana Jones (2008) and the Ark of the Covenant multiball. It does not have three flippers as some were assuming. This appears to be the Pro model that is shown and for where Pros have been on details, this looks like a step-up from something like the Star Wars Pro. The Stern Pinball website has also added a few details:
The game will immerse players in a dynamic, challenging, and galactic pinball environment where Star-Lord, Rocket, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, and Groot battle Ronan to stop him from using the Infinity Stone to destroy the galaxy.
Stern’s Guardians of the Galaxy Pro, Premium, and Limited Edition models are packed with features that provide an irresistible gameplay experience. Each game features a sculpted and interactive ball-eating Groot. In addition, a custom sculpted Rocket figure will keep players on their toes as it blasts the ball back at rocket speed. Color-changing inserts highlight the mysterious and interactive Orb, which opens to reveal the powerful Infinity Stone. The Limited Edition and Premium models also feature extra magnets, custom artwork, RGB lighting, and sculpted Groot arms that sprawl across the playfield.
Here’s the Premium machine. Would be nice if Stern would go back to providing high-resolution shots instead of these ones that look like blown up thumbnails:
Stern Pinball has “teased” their next pinball release, Marvel Comics’ Guardians Of The Galaxy, based upon the films of the same name. Stern uploaded this quick teaser video with a promise of more to come soon. Here’s the video, which mainly shows an unpopulated playfield, then quick analysis:
Thoughts so far:
– Very colorful artwork
– Based upon the movies & not the comics
– Molded toys for Groot & Rocket
– Appears to have a single scoop target on the mid-right
– Three magnets setup in a pop bumper kind of configuration?
– Will use an HD screen like other recent Stern units & the SPIKE hardware system
– Judging by how Stern normally handles announcements, I expect the Pro models to be shipping out before Christmas
– We’re going to have two Disney properties duking it out at the same time on the market (this and Pirates by Jersey Jack)
– Will we see this at IAAPA 2017 or will it be skipped much like Batman 66 skipped IAAPA last year?
What do you think so far? We’ll update as more information appears.