December 3rd seems to be an important date for game history. In 1979, the Intellivision game console was launched; in 1994, the first Sony PlayStation launched. And on December 3rd 2006, this website launched! Ok, so we’re hardly in the same class as a game console launch, but today is the day that this website was launched by “Pointything” (whose real identity remains a secret) a mere 13 years ago. In that time, this site has worked to provide you information and opinion on the coin-operated arcade business, as the industry has recovered from it’s doldrums at the beginning of the century. As things are right now, the arcade business is as vibrant as it was in the mid-90s, and there’s always potential for more.
It wouldn’t be here if not for you the readers, so I wanted to offer up my heartfelt thanks to all of you – whether you just read the site regularly, read & comment, share tips, share opinions on what is written, etc. We’ll keep the work up, just as long as someone wants to read or watch. You can watch the latest stuff on YouTube, where we’re about to hit 7,300 subs (or there is Bitchute, which I’ve been doing just in case things go haywire over at YT with the big changes coming next week).
Game Of The Decade
It’s also a good opportunity to do something that we haven’t done in a while – a poll. With it being 2019, that means that a new decade is about to begin. 10 years ago, I polled the readers on what they considered to be the “Game of the Decade,” and now it’s time to find out what YOU think was the Game of the Decade to cover 2010-2019. Last time, the Raw Thrills & Specular Interactive game H2Overdrive took the crown – what will win this time?
I am separating the question into two – maybe three if there’s demand – between video arcade games and pinball machines. A possible 3rd option is LBE VR, which would likely end up in a fight between Beat Saber, Mario Kart VR & Virtual Rabbids.
Of course, you can choose the game for whatever reason you want, but if you aren’t sure what to chose, I’d recommend it be:
1) Something that you have played – and replayed, as it was compelling enough to bring you back for more. Personally, I pick my favorite games based on how much time I’ve spent with them, as the more I’ve done so, the more entertainment value I got out of it.
2) A game that hits all of the right notes on it’s design – where the graphics, audio and gameplay have all been crafted in a way to create that perfect-for-you gaming experience.
3) Something that has had the most impact on arcade gaming in general. For players, this can be what influenced them; for operators, it can be what earned.
You only get one choice though, so choose wisely.
If you’re new around here, do note that I am not counting games that call themselves “arcade” (like Xbox Live Arcade, or the arcade category on Steam), but only exist in software form. The games being polled here are real, proper arcade machines that exist in their own self-contained, pay-per-play game cabinet like you generally imagine when the word “arcade machine” is thrown around. Like what you see in the pic here ->
Click below for a list of game releases by year (some of the earlier years need some clean up on the pages 😛 ); Not every game is included in the poll, just ones suggested by those of you who responded to my poll requests on social media and those I figured would be best. Due to your suggestions, it’s a huge list, but no worries. On videmption games, they have to have an amusement mode in the software. For this year, the game should have been out for a few months at least (Outnumbered is on there as it’s been out in Australia/SE Asia since the summer, but games released at IAAPA 2019 or the Exa-Arcadia are not, since many won’t even arrive on location until later this month/into next; they’ll have to be on the next GOTY/GOTD poll) but if your favorite isn’t on the list, choose “Other” and state in the comments what it is.
The polls close two weeks from now.
2019 / 2018 / 2017 / 2016 / 2015 / 2014 / 2013 / 2012 / 2011 / 2010
What Is Your Video Arcade Game Of The Decade (2010-2019)?
- Dariusburst Another Chronicle (Taito, 2011) (8%, 10 Votes)
- Jurassic Park Arcade (Raw Thrills, 2015) (6%, 8 Votes)
- Mario Kart Arcade GP DX (Bandai Namco, 2014) (6%, 7 Votes)
- Killer Queen Arcade (BumbleBear, 2014) (5%, 6 Votes)
- Dance Dance Revolution A20 [DDR A20] (Konami, 2019) (5%, 6 Votes)
- Dirty Drivin’ (Raw Thrills, 2011) (5%, 6 Votes)
- Pac-Man Battle Royale (Bandai Namco, 2012) (4%, 5 Votes)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Raw Thrills, 2018) (4%, 5 Votes)
- Big Buck Wild (Play Mechanix, 2015) (4%, 5 Votes)
- House of the Dead Scarlet Dawn (Sega, 2018) (4%, 5 Votes)
- Daytona Championship USA (Sega, 2017) (4%, 5 Votes)
- Deadstorm Pirates Special Edition (Bandai Namco, 2014) (4%, 5 Votes)
- Tekken 7: Fated Retribution (Bandai Namco, 2016) (3%, 4 Votes)
- Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition / Ultra (Capcom, 2011/2014) (3%, 4 Votes)
- Halo: Fireteam Raven (Raw Thrills, 2018) (2%, 3 Votes)
- Maximum Tune 5/5DX (Bandai Namco, 2017) (2%, 3 Votes)
- Time Crisis 5 (Bandai Namco, 2015) (2%, 3 Votes)
- Outnumbered (LAI Games, 2019) (2%, 3 Votes)
- Akai Katana (Cave, 2010) (2%, 3 Votes)
- Skycurser (Griffin Aerotech, 2017) (2%, 3 Votes)
- OTHER (Specify in comments) (2%, 2 Votes)
- DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou (Cave, 2012) (2%, 2 Votes)
- DJ Max Technika 3 (PentaVision, 2011) (2%, 2 Votes)
- Groove Coaster Arcade (Taito, 2013) (2%, 2 Votes)
- Gunslinger Stratos (Square Enix, 2012) (2%, 2 Votes)
- Dark Escape 4D (Bandai Namco, 2012) (2%, 2 Votes)
- Cruis’n Blast (Raw Thrills, 2016) (2%, 2 Votes)
- Space Invaders Frenzy (Raw Thrills, 2017) (2%, 2 Votes)
- Pump It Up XX 20th Anniversary (Andamiro, 2019) (1%, 1 Votes)
- Super Bikes 2 (Raw Thrills, 2010) (1%, 1 Votes)
- Storm Racer G (IGS/Wahlap, 2014) (1%, 1 Votes)
- Let’s Go Island (Sega, 2010) (1%, 1 Votes)
- Terminator Salvation (Raw Thrills, 2010) (1%, 1 Votes)
- GRID (Sega, 2010) (1%, 1 Votes)
- Fast & Furious Super Cars (Raw Thrills, 2010) (1%, 1 Votes)
- MaiMai (Sega, 2012) (1%, 1 Votes)
- DanceRush Stardom (Konami, 2018) (1%, 1 Votes)
- Cosmotrons (Arcadeaholics, 2018) (1%, 1 Votes)
- Armed Resistance (UNIS, 2014) (1%, 1 Votes)
- The Walking Dead (Play Mechanix, 2017) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Target Bravo: Operation GHOST (Sega, 2018/2011) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Tank! Tank! Tank! (Bandai Namco, 2010) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Tipsy Raccoons (Glitchbit, 2018) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Transformers: Shadows Rising (Sega, 2018) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Reflec Beat (Konami, 2010) (0%, 0 Votes)
- StepManiaX (Step Revolution, 2018) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Silent Scope Bone Eater (Konami, 2015) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Sega Showdown (Sega, 2015) (0%, 0 Votes)
- NEON FM (Unit-E, 2014) (0%, 0 Votes)
- NEO XYX (NG: DEV TEAM, 2013) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Mach Storm (Bandai Namco, 2013) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Luigi’s Mansion Arcade (Capcom/Sega, 2016) (0%, 0 Votes)
- King of Fighters XIII / Final Climax (SNK, 2010/2013) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Golden Tee 2020 (Incredible Technologies, 2019) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Galactic Battleground (Slackerz Inc., 2017) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Frightfearland (Taito/GlobalVR, 2012) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Friction (Friction Game Studios, 2011) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Fantasy Soccer (UNIS, 2019) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Deathball (Tony Hauber, 2017) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Aliens Armageddon (Raw Thrills, 2014) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 126
What is your Pinball Game of the Decade (2010-2019)?
- Ghostbusters (Stern, 2016) (17%, 10 Votes)
- Dialed In! (Jersey Jack, 2016) (10%, 6 Votes)
- Batman ’66 (Stern, 2017) (9%, 5 Votes)
- Jurassic Park (Stern, 2019) (9%, 5 Votes)
- Deadpool (Stern, 2018) (7%, 4 Votes)
- Medieval Madness Remake (PPS/Chicago Gaming, 2015) (7%, 4 Votes)
- Black Knight: Sword of Rage (Stern; 2019) (5%, 3 Votes)
- AC/DC (Stern, 2014) (5%, 3 Votes)
- Wizard of Oz (Jersey Jack, 2012) (5%, 3 Votes)
- Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (Jersey Jack, 2019) (5%, 3 Votes)
- Iron Maiden (Stern, 2018) (5%, 3 Votes)
- OTHER (Specify in the comments) (3%, 2 Votes)
- Pirates of the Caribbean (Jersey Jack, 2018) (3%, 2 Votes)
- Star Trek (Stern, 2013) (2%, 1 Votes)
- The Walking Dead (Stern, 2014) (2%, 1 Votes)
- Total Nuclear Annihilation (Spooky Pinball, 2017) (2%, 1 Votes)
- TRON Legacy (Stern, 2011) (2%, 1 Votes)
- Guardians of the Galaxy (Stern, 2018) (2%, 1 Votes)
- Iron Man (Stern, 2010) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Houdini: Master of Mystery (American Pinball, 2018) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Game of Thrones (Stern, 2015) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 58
It should be interesting to see the final results; thanks for voting and thanks for reading Arcade Heroes! Onto year 14!
Dance Rush Stardom for me! A true innovator as other dance machines and music games repeated the same formula.
KOF XIII also fantastic.
DJ Max would have taken it, but that already broke new ground in the previous decade.
Star Wars Battle Pod!
From a business point of view, my pick would be Terminator Salvation. It set the stage for Raw Thrills to become a dominant player in Western arcades.